- 3/4 Cups (113 grams) packed, pitted, oil-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 can oil-packed anchovy, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 garlic clove, germ removed, coarsely chopped
- Grated zest (about 1 teaspoon) and juice of ½ lemon (about 5 teaspoons)
- 1/2 Teaspoon herbes de Provence or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, or more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Using a blender or a food processor — a mini works great — put all the ingredients in the bowl.
Process, scraping down the sides frequently, until the olives and garlic are pureed.
Make the tapenade chunky or smooth — the choice is yours.
If it is too salty for your taste, stir in an additional teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and olive oil.