- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 Cups whole milk or fat level of choice
- 2 Cups (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 3 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional garnish: whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, shaved chocolate
Combine sugar and cocoa powder in a medium, heavy-bottom pot and whisk until evenly combined.
Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer on stovetop over low heat.
Stir in chocolate chips, vanilla extract and salt and stir constantly until chocolate is completed melted and mixture is smooth.
Pour hot chocolate into mugs and garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips or chocolate shavings as desired.