To save time and knife work, you can use store-bought shredded cabbage; just be sure to buy a brand that is very finely shredded for tender slaw. You’ll need 30 to 36 ounces shredded cabbage for 12 to 14 servings.
- 1 medium-size head green cabbage, cored
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, cored
- 2 large carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon plus more to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika (smoked or sweet)
Use a mandolin or a very sharp slicing knife and a cutting board to slice both cabbages as thinly as possible.
Discard any large tough cabbage ribs.
You’ll have 12 to 14 cups.
Use a vegetable peeler to thinly shave the carrots into pieces about 2 inches long.
Put the mayonnaise, half-and-half, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and paprika into a large bowl; mix well.
Add the cabbages and carrots.
Toss to coat the cabbage well with the dressing.
Taste and season with more salt if desired.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Serve very cold.