Beef Fajita Soup
A brilliant twist on traditional fajitas, this weeknight-friendly soup is sure to become a family favorite. Partially freeze the beef for about 30 minutes for easier slicing into strips.
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne
- 12 Ounces boneless beef sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into very thin bite-sized strips
- Cooking spray
- 2 Teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium-sized yellow or green sweet peppers, cut into thin bite-sized strips
- 1 medium-sized onion, halved and sliced thinly
- Two 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- One 14 1/2-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup light sour cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon finely shredded lime zest
- 1 Ounce baked tortilla chips, crushed coarsely
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped (optional)
- 1/4 Cup snipped cilantro (optional)
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Add the steak strips and toss to coat. Coat a 4-quart nonstick Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the steak strips, half at a time and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, for 2-4 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sweet peppers and onion and cook until lightly browned and just tender, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the broth and undrained tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Stir in the steak strips and heat through.
Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving and top with lime zest and tortilla chips. If desired, top with avocado and cilantro.