This treatment of okra really transforms the dish from the slimy stereotype of the poorly cooked vegetable. Fresh okra is cooked with pickling spices such as mustard seed, turmeric, and ginger before tossing it with slivers of red onion and juicy cherry tomatoes.
See all curry recipes.
- 2 -4 ounces vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon achari masala powder
- 1 Pound fresh okra
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced
- 2 Ounces ginger, sliced thinly or julienned
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
Heat the oil in medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard, fennel, and coriander seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the turmeric, chili powder, and achari masala powder.
Add the okra and sauté for 4-5 minutes to get rid of the slimy texture. When the okra colors, add the tomato and ginger, and season with kosher salt to taste. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and steam for about 5-8 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve.