These are a lot like Seven-Layer bars (or, Hello Dolly bars), but I don’t really think condensed milk should count as a layer (shredded coconut is already pushing it). I used a DIY Nutella as the chocolate layer, but you can sub in Nutella or anything similar.
6.5 Layer Bars
Adapted from Diners, Dishes and Desserts
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
20 graham crackers, crushed
tip: I used two store-bought graham cracker pie crusts instead
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup Nutella (or similar)
2 cups roasted hazelnuts
8 ounces (1 package) milk chocolate chunks
8 ounces (1 package) shredded coconut
14 ounces (1 can) condensed milk
Optional: 1 package Reese’s Minis, halved, or any candy you prefer
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine the crushed graham cracker crumbs and peanut butter in a bowl until a paste is formed.
3. Add the mixture to the bottom of a deep-dish rectangular pan to form a crust.
4. Layer the chocolate spread over the crust.
5. Place the roasted hazelnuts in a ziploc bag and seal. Whack against your counter as necessary to get hazelnut pieces.
6. Pour the hazelnuts evenly over the chocolate mixture.
7. Layer on the chocolate chunks and candy.
8. Pour the shredded coconut and condensed milk over the layers and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. It is nearly impossible to resist your warm masterpiece, but this step is very important otherwise the layers won’t hold together well.
See? You won’t even miss the last half layer.
More good stuff here:
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: