White House Releases Beer Recipes
Recipe of the day
- This Baseball Stadium Has Debuted a Beer Creamsicle Shake
- This Start-Up Allows Brewers and Beer-Lovers to Buy and Sell Beer Kits
- Craft Brewery Dr. Jekyll’s Adds Flaxseed Oil, Gingko Leaves, and Other Superfoods to Beer
- DC Brau and Oskar Blues Launch ‘Smells Like Freedom’ IPA with ‘Aromas of Cannabis’
- A Man Shot His Friend for Giving Him the Wrong Brand of Beer
President Obama’s White House-brewed beer has become something of an Internet celebrity. With the way the president talked it up, home brewers across the web decided they just had to have it. One user posted a petition on the White House website, and another even filed a Freedom of Information Act request for the recipe.
"Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen," he wrote. "After the few first drafts we landed on some great recipes that came from a local brew shop. We received some tips from a couple of home brewers who work in the White House who helped us amend it and make it our own. To be honest, we were surprised that the beer turned out so well since none of us had brewed beer before."
Kass gave recipes for both the White House Honey Ale and the White House Honey Porter. Both are made with honey from the White House beehive.
"The honey gives the beer a rich aroma and a nice finish but it doesn't sweeten it," Kass said.
Beer takes some time to produce, so the first non-White House batches are still at least a couple weeks away. If you decide to try one of the White House beer recipes, be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts