An Under-500 Calorie Meal - That Actually Tastes Good
Today on The Daily Meal
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- 8 Irish Whiskies Beyond Jameson
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- 8 Great Thanksgiving Toasts for Every Family
Creating an under-500 calorie menu – that a food-loving person would actually enjoy – seemed to be a daunting task at first, but it turned out to be much easier (and tastier) than we had imagined. Good thing herbs are incredibly low in calories, so adding these flavor-enhancing ingredients to the dish was one of the smartest things that we did. Here are some of the other things we learned along the way:
Creamy avocado is a perfect substitute for oil-based dressings and binds the ingredients together perfectly to produce a crunchy, sweet and smooth salad with an invigorating taste of cilantro. A sprinkle of ground coriander seeds brightens the dish and adds an exotic aroma.
Baking fish in foil is a fantastic, healthy and low-calorie method of cooking. Because we are steaming the fish, we need only a little bit of oil and a lot of herbs and seasonings to produce an incredibly aromatic, tender and moist fillet. Plus the lemon-and-coriander soaked juices, still bubbling from the oven and the soft, vibrant vegetables are never a disappointment. You can also use this method on the grill.
Here's our satisfying, easy and healthy menu:
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts