Sandwich of the Week: The Gorbals' GLT
Today on The Daily Meal
- Chefs at Home: Ilan Hall's Los Angeles Home
- Anthony Bourdain's 'The Getaway,' Ilan Hall's 'Knife Fight' to Debut in September
- Sandwich of the Week: Al's Deli's Smoked Turkey Sandwich
- Sandwich of the Week: Pork Hash Sandwich at Portland's Lardo
- Sandwich of the Week: Made Fresh Daily's Deviled Egg Salad Sandwich
- Cook and Janitor of Nursing Home Kept Working without Pay Because 'If We Left, They Wouldn't Have Nobody'
- Outpouring of Appreciation for Cook and Janitor Who Stayed Behind at Shuttered Nursing Home (and How You Can Help)
- America’s Unhealthiest Fast Foods
- Best Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
- McDonald’s Hires Ex-MythBuster to Improve Self-Image
After winning season 2 of Bravo's Top Chef (then but a shadow of its current juggernaut self), Ilan Hall left his station at Casa Mono, did some traveling and wound up across the country in sunny California with plans of opening his first restaurant. That establishment, The Gorbals, is located in trendy downtown Los Angeles, and it's the home of this week’s Sandwich of the Week, the GLT.
Everyone’s familiar with the classic BLT — bacon, lettuce, and tomato slathered in mayonnaise. But chef Hall has one-upped every version out there, channeling his roots and challenging pork fiends with his GLT — gribenes, lettuce, and tomato. The inspired filling is nothing more than chicken skin, simply fried to savory, crisp perfection. As the saying goes, "bacon makes everything better", but gribenes might just be the exception to the rule.
Today.com asked chef Hall about the inspiration for the sandwich. His reply? "I don’t know, it just made sense!" And really, why look a gift horse in the mouth? Especially when that mouth is filled with fried chicken skins. As an added bonus, Hall and his team realized that in using gribenes instead of bacon, the sandwich is kosher.
Click here for other featured sandwiches or check out the 2012 Year in Sandwiches and the Sandwich of the Week Slideshow. Know a sandwich that should be featured? Email The Daily Meal or comment below. Better yet, become a contributor and write up your favorite today!
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts