- Worcestershire sauce introduced (1937)
Mr. Peanut Has a New Voice
Recipe of the day
- Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Mind of a Chef’ Is Back This Fall with Gabrielle Hamilton and David Kinch
- Lollipops in Utah, Eggplants in Nevada, and More Popular Emojis Ranked by State
- These People Completely Recreated the Simpsons Kitchen in Their Own Home
- 6 Foods That Can Clean Your House
- Are These the Worst Food Tattoos Ever?
Planters announced on July 1 that its mascot, Mr. Peanut, would be getting a new voice — that of comedian and Saturday Night Live alumnus Bill Hader.
Actor Robert Downey Jr. has filled the role since 2010, when Mr. Peanut was first given a voice as part of a thorough makeover that also included digitization of the mascot and a new outfit (though he maintained his trademark top hat, cane, and monocle).
According to PRNewswire, Hader will voice Mr. Peanut — who has been the brand’s mascot since 1916 — in Planters’ advertising campaign for its NUT-rition line of products, which emphasizes "sustainable energy" in the form of nut protein. The focus is on motivation (or, as the campaign’s website, www.INeedSomeEnergy.com, calls it, "GO-tivation") and energy to get through the day.
The website features "energizing games, GIFs, videos, and words of wisdom" from Mr. Peanut himself, such as, "Remember, the greats are great because they never get too comfortable at the top. My advice? No sweatpants. They’re tacky and mildly inappropriate." The campaign also includes ads and curated playlists on music-listening services such as Pandora and Spotify.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts