Have Cronuts Replaced Cupcakes as the New 'It' Dessert?
Recipe of the day
- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Wonder Bread
- Attention: The Girl Scouts Have Come Out With a Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwich
- Cotton Candy Oreos Are the Newest Product from the Oreo Rumor Mill
- High-Tech Utensils Prevent You From Overeating
- EXCLUSIVE: Tic Tac Launches First New Mint Flavor in Years: Intense Spearmint Mix
With the release of the "cronut," a hybrid of a doughnut and croissant, on May 10, at Dominique Ansel Bakery in Soho, people have been lining up as early as 6 a.m. to get one of the decadent treats that have sold out as soon as one hour after opening. Believe it or not, a black market for the delicacy has already arisen due to the insane demand.
This bakery is the only one currently selling the scarce delicacy, and people are doing everything to get their hands on one. Some people were even buying as many as they could and selling them to desperate seekers at prices as high as $30 to $40. But according to The Atlantic Wire, the bakery instituted a three-per-person maximum on cronut sales, a decrease from the original six. Despite waiting on line for hours, not everyone can be guaranteed to get one; it’s first come, first serve.
Until other bakeries can duplicate the cronut, or until Ansel decides to sell his recipe or mass-market the pastry for sale to other bakeries, it’s looking like trying to make your own is the closest you’ll get to the ethereal cronut.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts