- Taco Day
You Want Salad with That? McDonald’s to Offer Salads, Fruit, Veggie Sides
Recipe of the day
- Diamond Foods, Maker of Emerald Nuts and Pop Secret, to Sell Company in Pieces
- One Woman Posed as Salad on Tinder, and You Won't Believe the Responses She Got
- Days of Pepperoni Past: This Guy Is Photographing the Disappearing Pizza Huts of Your Childhood
- You Can Now Order Carnitas Burritos Again at Chipotle
- Dunkin’ Donuts Is Making a Breakfast Sandwich with Bacon-Stuffed Sausages
For as long as McDonald’s has been offering Value Meals, the formula has remained basically unchanged: a sandwich, fries, and a drink. But all that’s about to change: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the fast-food giant will begin offering salads, fruit, and vegetables as options as well as fries.
The move was announced on Thursday at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York City, amid criticism that the chain promotes unhealthy eating habits. And now that we think of it, offering healthy options instead of fries makes perfect sense.
They’ll also reportedly begin using Happy Meal packaging to promote healthy childhood eating, with "fun" nutrition-related information.
The chain has been working hard to compete with Panera Bread and other options that are perceived as a bit more classy and healthy, and not much more expensive. They’ve recently rolled our egg white breakfast sandwiches, for example, as well as chicken wraps.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts