The Year in Fast Food
Recipe of the day
- The 10 Best 24-Hour Chain Restaurants
- Gabe Thompson is Doing a Tex-Mex Brunch Pop-Up at L’Apicio This Weekend, March 28 and 29
- Ivan Ramen Has a New Late Night-Only Pork Belly and Shoulder Ramen
- Tony May's SD26 Changes Ownership
- EXCLUSIVE: Dunkin’ Donuts Debuts New Food Items, Including Oreo Cheesecake Square
Every year, fast-food chains slowly expand overseas, launch new menu items, and try out new marketing themes. And while certain things, like the McRib's return, are an annual occurrence everyone expects to happen, other items (looking at you, dessert nachos) always capture the media's attention.
Fast-casual chains like Applebee's don't count, but the chain's moves to be a more urban, hip establishment were mimicked by the fast-food category; other chains tried to add gourmet touches to their mass produced menus, launching "fresher" takes on classic menu items. There were some marketing faux pas along the way, some drama about politics, and a new movement to increase the wages of those working in the industry.
So here it is: the year in fast food. Whether you're a fan of McDonald's, a Burger King advocate, or simply one who wants validation for their anti-fast-food habits, these stories look back on whether the fast-food chains of today are the same as those of yesteryear. And In-N-Out fans? Well, there weren't any expansions this year, so you're out of luck.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts