- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
Twinkies-Maker Files for Chapter 11
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Starbucks and Evolution Fresh Now Make Individual Fruit-on-the-Bottom Greek Yogurts
- Kraft Recalls American and White American Singles, Says Plastic Wrapper Is a Choking Hazard
- Maui, Hawaii's Grand Wailea Spa Incorporates Local Products into Relaxing Treatments
- Bananas Get Quick-Thinking Swede Out of Speeding Ticket
- The Best and Worst Products at Trader Joe’s Roundup: Part Two
Hostess Brands Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time (the first was in 2004).
According to the Wall Street Journal, the Twinkies producer says the current cost structure is "not competitive" due to labor costs. The sale of Twinkies is also reportedly down, with a 2 percent drop in sales last year.
Hostess also manufactures Ho Hos, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, but the Twinkies decline is pretty fascinating, especially considering they're Ferran Adrià-approved. Luckily, the company has enough funding to continue running for now. We're sure plenty of folks will be stockpiling Twinkies for the zombie apocalypse.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts