Twinkies-Maker Files for Chapter 11
Recipe of the day
- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Wonder Bread
- Attention: The Girl Scouts Have Come Out With a Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwich
- Cotton Candy Oreos Are the Newest Product from the Oreo Rumor Mill
- High-Tech Utensils Prevent You From Overeating
- EXCLUSIVE: Tic Tac Launches First New Mint Flavor in Years: Intense Spearmint Mix
Hostess Brands Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time (the first was in 2004).
According to the Wall Street Journal, the Twinkies producer says the current cost structure is "not competitive" due to labor costs. The sale of Twinkies is also reportedly down, with a 2 percent drop in sales last year.
Hostess also manufactures Ho Hos, Sno Balls, and Wonder Bread, but the Twinkies decline is pretty fascinating, especially considering they're Ferran Adrià-approved. Luckily, the company has enough funding to continue running for now. We're sure plenty of folks will be stockpiling Twinkies for the zombie apocalypse.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts