Tuscan Apple Cake
- 1/2 Cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar, preferably organic
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more at room temperature for the pan
- 4 large firm-fleshed apples (1 3/4 pounds), peeled, cored, quartered, and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Sautéed Beet Greens with Cumin, Lemon Zest, and Crispy Fried Garlic
- Banana Bread with Brazil Nuts and Dark Chocolate Swirls
- Almond Scones
- Boston Lettuce and Radish Salad with Grilled Fingerling Potatoes
- Marinated Feta with Pan-Roasted Shishito Peppers and Olives
- Basil Pesto
- Cannellini Bean Dip with Pan-Fried Mint
- Carrot Cake with Cardamom, Currants, and Ginger-Crème Fraîche Chantilly
- Baby Kale Salad with Kumquats and Sesame Vinaigrette
More like a flan than a cake, this rustic dessert is chock-full of apples and incredibly moist, making every spoonful a pure delight. The list of ingredients is short, and for good reason: it's all about the apples!
The delectable apples in this recipe can be cut into super-thin slices easily by using the slicing attachment of a food processor, although a mandoline or a box grater will do the job perfectly, too.
And unlike most cakes, this one's perfection begins with it baking right on the floor of the oven. The delicious result: a caramelized skin forms at the bottom of the cake and intensifies the flavors of the sweet apples.
Simple, rustic, succulent… And if there are any leftovers, they make a fantastic breakfast treat to boot!
See all apple recipes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Place the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk on medium speed until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is pale and thick, about 30-60 seconds.
Fold the flour into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Fold in the milk, then the butter and finally the apple slices. Be sure not to overmix.
Butter and flour a 10-inch nonstick springform pan. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Pack the apples into the mold and flatten the surface of the cake with the wooden spoon.
Bake for 10 minutes on the floor of the oven. Transfer the pan to the middle rack and continue baking until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, for 50-55 minutes.
Remove the cake from the oven, and run a paring knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the ring of the mold. Let cool in its mold to room temperature. Unmold the cake and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Note: The cake can be baked up to 6 hours ahead and kept in its mold at room temperature in a cool place. It is best eaten the day it is made.
Calories per serving:302 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Sodium Kidney Friendly, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added