Taste-Off: Tofurky vs. Tofurky
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
You know those celebrities you love to hate? Well, these two alternative Thanksgiving options are kind of like that. They’re conversation starters that are definitely entertaining if not entirely palatable. One liquid, both vegan, these unique takes on a classic provoke disgust, but keep people coming back for more.
- DOB: 2009
- Availability: For purchase online for a limited time.
- Price: $5.99 plus shipping and handling for a 4-pack.
- Calories: 0
- Sodium:: 300 mg
- Ingredients: Carbonated Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Salt, Caramel Color, Acacia Gum, Glucono Delta Lactone (Acidulant), Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Medium Chain Triglyceride, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorybate (preservatives), Sucralose (Splenda Brand)
- Cooking time: Enjoy chilled from the bottle.
- Still hungry? Try the Holiday Pack "sides": Sweet Potato Soda, Pea Soda, Dinner Roll Soda, and Antacid Flavored Soda.
- Taste: Somewhere between the “new toy” smell and “aspartame” finish we were left wondering whether or not we could have identified Jones’ intentions had this been a blind taste-test. The more skilled (or determined) noses found notes reminiscent of gravy — sage and pepper.
- DOB: 1995
- Availability: Sold year-round in supermarkets nationally.
- Price: $10-$12
- Calories: 350
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Ingredients: ROAST: Water, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu (filtered water, organic whole soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), expeller pressed non-genetically engineered canola oil, natural vegetarian flavors, shoyu soy sauce (water, non-genetically engineered soybeans, wheat, salt, culture), non-genetically engineered corn starch, white bean flour, garbanzo bean flour, lemon juice from concentrate, onion, carrots, celery, salt, calcium lactate from beets. STUFFING: Organic brown rice, whole wheat bread cubes (whole wheat, filtered water, unbleached wheat flour, organic evaporated cane juice, organic palm oil, sea salt, yeast, natural enzymes, ascorbic acid), onion, celery, expeller pressed non-genetically engineered canola oil, organic wild rice, natural vegetarian seasoning, granulated garlic, herbs and spices. “GIBLET” GRAVY: Water, whole wheat flour, expeller pressed non-genetically engineered canola oil, Tofurky giblets (water, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu [filtered water, organic whole soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride], expeller pressed non-genetically engineered canola oil, natural vegetarian flavors, shoyu soy sauce [water, non-genetically engineered soybeans, wheat, salt, culture], non-genetically engineered corn starch, white bean flour, garbanzo bean flour, lemon juice from concentrate, onion, carrot, celery, salt, calcium lactate from beets), natural vegetarian flavors, onion, carrot, celery, non-genetically engineered corn starch, salt, sunflower oil, thyme, rosemary.
- Cooking time: About five minutes in the microwave, or an hour and 15 minutes in the oven.
- Still Hungry? The Tofurky Vegan Feast also includes Tofurky Jurky Wishstix and organic chocolate cake.
- Taste: If you can get past the “salty,” “so salty,” “very, very salty” initial tastes, this alternative may make for a satisfied vegan or vegetarian. We wouldn’t know, because we love meat, but with right stuffing-to-gravy ratio, there was potential.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts