Sweet and Spicy Hash Browns
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 1 pint mushrooms, sliced into thirds
- 2 Teaspoons cayenne
- 1 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 4 s Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- Cooking spray
- Spicy Three Cheese Mac & Cheese
- Four-Onion Pizza with Goat Cheese
- Lite and Amazing French Onion Dip
- Kale and Feta Burrito
- Vegan Chili and Cornbread Casserole
- Vegan Roasted Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- Vegan Mediterranean Pita Pockets
- Goat Cheese and Chorizo Crostini
- Green Tomato and Cantaloupe Caprese Salad
This sweet and spicy twist on classic cubed hash browns offers all the excitement and flavor one could ask for before noon. I've always appreciated that extra kick, that slap of seasoning, that pinch of a bang... you get the idea. Likewise, I adore a caramelized mushroom and/or onion. So, as with most of my recipes, I thought I would combine all that I love in one boisterous dish. Go ahead...try not taking seconds.
See all mushroom recipes.
Coat the bottom of a sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and add the onion. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Coat another pan with the remaining olive oil, and simultaneously cook the mushrooms over medium heat for 25 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Combine the cayenne, red pepper flakes, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Add the potatoes to the mixture and stir well. On a cookie sheet, lay out the potatoes in a single layer (use cooking spray, if needed). Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns with the onions and mushrooms. Serve and devour!
Note: Don't limit yourself to breakfast. The dish's natural heartiness and balance of both savory and sweet flavors make it a perfect addition to lunch or dinner — a versatile side dish, if you will.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts