- Worcestershire sauce introduced (1937)
Strawberry Shortcakes with Lemon-Basil Cream Recipe
- 1 package frozen biscuits (6 biscuits)
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, tops removed, sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- ¾ pint heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Dessert wasn't really a staple in my family's home growing up (save for the chocolates Dad would bring back from trips to France), but during the summertime my Mom would treat us to strawberry shortcakes. This recipe improves on the classic by introducing basil and lemon to the cream for a more fresh-from-the-garden flavor.
Bake the frozen biscuits according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, toss the sliced strawberries with ¼ cup of sugar and set aside to macerate. When ready, remove biscuits from the oven and set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, add the 2 tablespoons of sugar to the cream and beat, either with a whisk or an electric beater, until it is whipped and fluffy. Mix in lemon zest and basil.
To serve, cut the biscuits in half, cover the bottom half with a generous spoonful of strawberries, add a dollop of whipped cream, and top with the other half.