Sri Lankan Cuisine: What Is It and How to Make It
Today on The Daily Meal
- ‘A Mouthful of Stars’: Recipes from Around the Globe
- Cook with Confidence: ‘Twelve Recipes’ Will Show You How
- Coq au Vin: Making This French Stew is Easier Than You Think
- How to Make a Gourmet Meal with Edible Marijuana
- Sean Brock Thinks You Should Definitely Make His Cornbread Recipe from his New Cookbook, ‘Heritage’
Full of exotic spices, Sri Lankan cuisine is characterized by vivid colors and strong smells. As it is an underrepresented cuisine, in comparison to Indian or other South Asian cuisines, S.H. Fernando Jr., author of Rice & Curry: Sri Lankan Home Cooking, took it upon himself to educate readers about the flavorful food of this country.
With a very thorough chapter dedicated to spices, some common and others ones that you might not have heard of, Fernando guides readers through the intricacies and techniques of common dishes. His favorite go-to recommendation? The Chicken Curry recipe — both easy and delicious, it’s a dish his mother often prepared for him as a child. Watch the video above to learn more about the food, book, and spices and then try your hand at the recipes below.
A popular vegetable in Sri Lankan cooking and in the South, okra tastes delicious when cooked in curries like this one.
Make this dish with shrimp or squid, depending on your preference.
A great curry to dish to try for beginners.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts