Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups vanilla soy milk
- 1 ¾ cups steel-cut oats
- ½ cup dried cherries or raisins
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups water, plus more as needed
- ½ cup blueberries, for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, for garnish (optional)
There’s no question that steel-cut oats are superior in flavor to instant oatmeal, but the extended cooking time, obligatory stirring, and sticky pot to clean can put off even the most loyal oatmeal enthusiast. Using a slow cooker eliminates the stove-top surveillance and mess. Plus, the oatmeal can be kept warm for late risers.
Coat a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine soymilk, oats, dried cherries, ½ cup maple syrup, salt, allspice, and 4 cups water in slow cooker. Cook on high 2-4 hours.
Turn off slow cooker, and stir in the 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Add water as necessary to achieve desired thickness. Serve garnished with blueberries and pecans, if desired.
Calories per serving:235 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Fat