Mushroom Ceviche Recipe
Daily Value: 5%
|Folic Acid (B9)||36µg||9%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||5g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Pairs Well With
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
Traditionally made with raw fish, cooked by the citrus juice, this version of the Peruvian favorite might just become one of yours. This former seaside appetizer is full of crunch, creaminess, citrus and zest, a great way to start a meal or even snack on!
Click here to see more Healthy, International Cooking at Home.
- 1 quart lightly salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup oyster or Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup hearts of palm, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup jicama, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Several lime slices, for garnish
- Crackers or tortilla chips, for serving
Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add mushrooms and hearts of palm, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and drain water. Cover with the lid and set aside, letting mushrooms and palm hearts steam in closed pot for 10 minutes.
Drain mushrooms and palm hearts again to remove remaining liquid and put in large bowl to cool completely. Toss with remaining 1/2 cup of lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid. Add to mushroom and palm heart bowl along with chopped cilantro, garlic, olive oil, cucumber, jicama, tomato, and avocado. Mix gently and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours. Spoon the ceviche into martini glasses or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
Adapted from "The Healthy Voyager's Global Kitchen" by Carolyn Scott-Hamilton (Fair Winds Press, 2012)Servings: 8