- Juan Mari Arzak born (1942)
Robot Bartender Can Fetch, Serve You Drinks
Recipe of the day
- Tired of Fruitless Searching? Now You Can Order a Personalized ‘Share a Coke With…’ Bottle
- 10 Fruits to Add to Your Water That Will Totally Benefit Your Body
- This Miracle Drink Could Ensure That You Never Get a Hangover Again
- British Supermarket Chain Tesco Bans Sugary Drinks to Fight Childhood Obesity
- 8 Most Amazing Soft Drink Cans and Bottles
A coffee machine that can receive order via text message, a typewriter that can make mixed drinks — these are just a couple of examples of the kind of technological innovations that exist in the world of drink today.
So what's next, a robot that can take and serve your drink order? Actually, yes.
Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University's robotics department recently revealed something they're calling the "robot bartender." In what is unquestionably a pretty cool feat, the dual-armed mobil PR2 has been taught to process and retrieve a person's drink and snack order. Per a story on ITWorld.com, "After a human makes a drink and snack selection, the robot can determine the proper area of where the items are located, as well as how far its arm is so it can properly grab the snack and drink choice."
So far, the drink and snack selections are limited to two types of soda and a box of Goldfish.
Admittedly, it's a little disappointing that the "bartender" isn't capable of cracking open that can of Coke and pouring it into a glass with some rum. But, as the old expression goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Check out the video below to see Carnegie Mellon University's robot bartender in action.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts