- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
Naan Bhajji with Roasted Tomato Chutney
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 plain naan, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 Teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt (optional)
- Singaporean-Style Oyster Omelette Recipe
- Foil-Baked Salmon with Mango, Chile, and Lime
- Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Cucumber
- Grilled Swordfish Sliders
- Cinnamon-Scented Millet with Grilled Summer Vegetables
- Penne with Cherry Tomatoes and Zucchini Blossoms
- Grilled Swordfish with Thai Dipping Sauce
- Bacon and Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 'No-Name' Hot Dog
Bhajji (also bajji) are afternoon snacks typically consumed before dinner and typically consist of fried food. This is one you probably won't find anywhere in India, though, since it's more Indian-inspired than actually Indian. Special thanks to my dear friend Deepak Venkatachalam for his invaluable help with this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat ½ inch vegetable oil in a small pot or sauté pan over medium heat until a pinch of flour sizzles when dropped into the oil. Line a plate with a paper towel.
In a bowl, mix together the flour and water. Dip the naan into the batter and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds per side. Do not overcrowd the pot or pan. Remove to the plate as the naan wedges finish frying.
Chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Place the spices in a small sauté pan and toast over low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool and grind in a spice grinder. Meanwhile, heat the oil in the same pan over low heat. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the spices and season with salt, to taste. Remove from the heat and serve with naan on the side. Stir in the Greek yogurt, if using.
Calories per serving:163 calories
Dietary restrictions:Sugar Conscious