Racy Eggplant Omelettes with Savory Red Chile
- 5 Tablespoons bacon drippings, or vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium eggplant, top trimmed away, flesh cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Cup Mellow Red Chile Salsa*
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped canned chipotle en adobo
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 Cup milk
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Tiny Tostadas of Smoky Chicken Tinga with Avocado and Aged Cheese
- Grilled Corn and Poblano Guacamole
- Oaxacan-Style Peanuts with Chile and Garlic
- Frontera’s Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Guacamole with Bacon, Grilled Ramps (or Green Onions), and Roasted Tomatillos
- Mellow Red Chile Salsa with Sweet Garlic and Roasted Tomatoes
- Swiss Chard Tacos with Caramelized Onion, Fresh Cheese, and Red Chile
- Chipotle-Glazed Ham with Cherry-Jicama Salsa Recipe
- Garlicky Habanero Macadamia Nuts Recipe
The eggplant in this recipe gets its raciness from a spicy red chile salsa and some chipotle chiles en adobo — think of it as a Mexican-inspired ratatouille. It gives a boost of flavor to an omelette so you won't be missing the lack of cheese, making it an exciting yet healthy breakfast dish.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until transluscent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and cook, stirring regularly, until the eggplant is richly browned and soft, and to the point where it is almost falling apart, about 15 minutes. Stir in the salsa, the soy sauce, and the canned chipotles. Season with salt and remove from heat.
Turn the oven on to its lowest setting. In a medium-sized bowl, lightly beat the eggs wtih the milk and about ½ teaspoon of salt. Heat a smallish nonstick or well-seasoned skillet over medium-high. When quite hot, add ½ tablespoon of the remaining bacon drippings and let heat a few seconds, then add ¼ of the egg mixture. Stir every few seconds to create large curds, and, when still creamy but set enought o hold together, spoon ¼ of the eggplant mixture across the center. Immediately roll your omelette out onto a serving plate and keep warm in the oven. Prepare the remaining omelettes in the same fashion. When the omelettes are made, spoon a generous 2-3 tablespoons of the salsa in a decorative ribbon across each one, and then sprinkle with cilantro.
Calories per serving:354 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.