Paula Deen Lawyers Trying to Get Out of Racial Discrimination Lawsuit
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
- Is Papa John a Pizza Traitor? Pizza Mogul Caught Eating Slice with Knife and Fork
- Neil Gaiman, Jeffrey Eugenides, and More Join Chipotle’s Cultivating Thought Series
- Guy Fieri’s Proposed ‘Hunt-Ryd’ Sonoma County Winery Rejected by Zoning Board
- Here’s an Amazing Photo of Chef José Andrés Hanging Out with a Stingray at the Cayman Cookout
- World Champion Boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Says He and Gordon Ramsay will Open the World’s Best Restaurant Together
Paula Deen has had a tough few weeks, but her lawyers might just make it even worse. The most recent news from the sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuit against Paula and Bubba Deen? Deen's lawyers are trying to dismiss claims of racial discrimination because the plaintiff is a white woman.
According to TODAY, Deen's lawyers filed a motion saying, "Jackson cannot enforce someone else’s right, and she has no actionable claim for feeling ‘uncomfortable’ around discriminatory conduct directed at others." The lawyers claim that overturning Prop 8, where the high court said that private parties didn't have standing to defend bans against gay and lesbian couples, means that Jackson, a private party, doesn't have standing to defend African-American workers under Deen.
Lisa Jackson has since given her first statement , saying, "This lawsuit has never been about the N-word. It is to address Ms. Deen's patterns of disrespect and degradation of people that she deems to be inferior. I may be a white woman, but I could no longer tolerate her abuse of power as a business owner, nor her condonation of Mr. Hier's despicable behavior on a day-to-day basis. I am what I am, and I am a human being that cares about all races, and that is why I feel it is important to be the voice for those who are too afraid to use theirs."
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts