- Agoston Haraszthy born (1812)
Patty P’s French Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 stick unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 5 whole eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package vanilla Jell-O or Kroger instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons almond extract
- ½ cup chopped rosemary
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) or 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Butter or Pam, for greasing the tin
- Lulu Powers' Granola Recipe
- Maple-Glazed Bacon Recipe
- Fruit Salad with Herb Syrup Recipe
- Cheddar and Ham Scones Recipe
- Vegetable Herb Frittata Recipe
- Escarole and Edamame Salad Recipe
- JR's Kale Salad Recipe
- Wild Mushroom Risotto Cakes Recipe
- Roasted Beet Bruschetta on Endive with Caramelized Walnuts
When I was growing up in Connecticut, I knew it was Sunday or a holiday when this coffee cake was brought out. My husband and my friend Leslie love this cake today. It’s best to make one to eat and another to stick in your freezer…
Serve it on one of my favorite cake plates for an elegant brunch treat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla pudding. Add the dry mixture, alternating with sour cream, to the wet mixture. Add vanilla and almond extracts.
In a small bowl, mix nuts or oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Grease a tube pan or Bundt pan with Pam. Pour half the batter into a pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter. Finish with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon mixture. Bake for 50-60 minutes (depends if it is a heavy pan or if your oven temperature is about right). Stick a skewer in to test if it is done (it will come out clean) or push gently with your hand. If it springs back it is done. Let it cool in the pan for an hour or more. Take out and once it’s completely cool, wrap it in foil or place on serving piece.