Pan-Fried Olives with Rosemary
- 2 Cups Greek, Cerignola, Alfonso, or other meaty black olives
- 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped rosemary
- Sautéed Beet Greens with Cumin, Lemon Zest, and Crispy Fried Garlic
- Banana Bread with Brazil Nuts and Dark Chocolate Swirls
- Almond Scones
- Boston Lettuce and Radish Salad with Grilled Fingerling Potatoes
- Marinated Feta with Pan-Roasted Shishito Peppers and Olives
- Basil Pesto
- Cannellini Bean Dip with Pan-Fried Mint
- Carrot Cake with Cardamom, Currants, and Ginger-Crème Fraîche Chantilly
- Baby Kale Salad with Kumquats and Sesame Vinaigrette
Olives — those supremely flavorful little packages — have become a standby in most households. Indeed, a bowl of olives is the finger food of choice at dinner parties. Olives are now so common, it's easy to take those gems for granted.
So, it's no surprise that a bowl of olives is always on my coffee table whenever friends come over for dinner. But since I always like to coax a bit more flavor out of things, I want my bowl of olives to bring some excitement — and even a little surprise — to my guests.
This recipe certainly fulfills both objectives. Biting into these meaty, warm olives is such an unexpected sensation that everyone always stops in their tracks and marvels. The olives turn out to be mellower when warmed and their flesh literally melts in your mouth. Meanwhile, the pan-fried rosemary contributes its irresistible herbal-pungency to make the whole experience quite delightful.
So here's to the olive and to the endless pleasure it gives us all!
See all rosemary recipes.
Drain the olives and pat dry with a paper towel. (If the olives have been stored in oil, just drain them; there's no need to pat them dry.) Heat half of the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the rosemary and olives, and sauté until the rosemary becomes dark green and crisp, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the remaining the olive oil. Toss well and serve warm.
Note: Keep refrigerated up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving or reheat for 1-2 minutes over medium-high heat.
Calories per serving:151 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Sugar Conscious, Low Sugar, Low Potassium, Kidney Friendly, Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added