- Cream of Wheat invented (1893)
- Cream of Wheat introduced (1893)
Obama and Biden Spotted Eating Lunch at Shake Shack in DC
Recipe of the day
- Exclusive: Andrew Zimmern Falls in Love with Grandma’s Cooking in This ‘Bizarre Foods’ Clip
- The Crack Shack from ‘Top Chef’ Richard Blais Will Serve Chicken and Eggs All Day Long
- One of Gordon Ramsay’s Head Chefs Is Looking to Open Her Own Restaurant
- The First Season of ‘Barefoot Contessa’ Is Now on Netflix
- Dale Talde Dishes on the New York Wine & Food Festival, His Best Meal Ever
Watchful journalist and Reuters White House correspondent Jeff Mason took a momentary segue into the food writing world when he tweeted a photo of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden eating lunch together at Shake Shack in Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C.
Obama and Biden having lunch at Shake Shack. pic.twitter.com/JAZlfvLU8Q
— Jeff Mason (@jeffmason1) May 16, 2014
According to The Hill, Obama picked Shake Shack for lunch because they "great burgers and pays its employees more than 10 bucks an hour."
In 2011, First Lady Michelle Obama was spotted eating at a newly opened Shake Shack, spurring mixed reactions on social media as her choice seemed to conflict with the healthy eating message behind her Let’s Move campaign.
In response, Huffington Post postulated whether the inflated coverage was perhaps “the dumbest story ever.”
Earlier this week, Mets first baseman Lucas Duda and Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg claimed that they were struck with food poisoning after eating burgers from Shake Shack at Citi Field. Shake Shack owner Danny Myer dismissed the claims, saying that it was unlikely the food poisoning was caused by Shake Shack, as the burgers were made from a batch, and no other illnesses had been reported.
In any case, it appears the story did nothing to shake Obama’s trust in Shake Shack.
Karen Lo is an associate editor at The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @appleplexy.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts