Danny Myer Denies Baseball Players’ Food Poisoning Claims
Recipe of the day
Mets first baseman Lucas Duda and Phillies Manager Ryan Sandberg caused a major league ruckus when they claimed that they fell violently ill (probably due to food poisoning) after eating at Shake Shack last week. Danny Myer, the owner of Shake Shack, has responded to these claims, saying that it was highly unlikely that the two major league baseball players struck out from food poisoning at any of his restaurants.
“If you’re in a restaurant and one person says they got food poisoning from fish, you can say, ‘Well, that was probably one bad fish.’ But with hamburger meat, it’s an entire batch,” Danny Myer told the New York Post. “ And we haven’t heard of one other case of food poisoning. We don’t know for sure a Shake Shake burger made them sick.”
Sandberg had eaten a Shake Shack burger on Friday at Citi Field and reportedly “lost six pounds” due to the violent case of food poisoning. Duda was hospitalized and had to sit out Friday’s Mets game, due to, what he claimed was consuming undercooked meat at a Shake Shack in Westbury.
“Food safety is of paramount importance to us, and we’re connecting with our management team at the Citi Field Shake Shack now to discuss further and find out more,” said Greg Sandberg, senior manager and marketing director at Shake Shack.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts