Is a Nutella Shortage in Our Near Future?
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- Attention: The Girl Scouts Have Come Out With a Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwich
- Cotton Candy Oreos Are the Newest Product from the Oreo Rumor Mill
- High-Tech Utensils Prevent You From Overeating
- EXCLUSIVE: Tic Tac Launches First New Mint Flavor in Years: Intense Spearmint Mix
- Missing Your Banned British Chocolate? Now You Can Order it Online
Get ready to stock up on your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread — a Nutella shortage may soon be upon us. Apparently there’s a frost that has affected the growth of hazelnut plants in Turkey, where approximately 70 percent of the world’s hazelnuts are grown and sold every year. And Ferrero, the mother company that makes the popular chocolate spread, actually accounts for 25 percent of hazelnut sales around the world! As a result, the price of hazelnuts has skyrocketed, and has almost doubled since March, from 6,500 Turkish lira to 10,500 Turkish lira per ton.
It seems that Ferrero can’t get a break! The price of cocoa, the other half of Nutella’s delicious formula, has almost increased dramatically since last year, due to the rising demand for chocolate worldwide, forcing most chocolate companies to raise their prices as well.
We have reached out to Ferrero to see if they can assuage our fears of this potential Nutella shortage or at the very least, dramatic wholesale price increases, but have not yet heard back.
For the latest happenings in the food and drink world, visit our Food News page.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter@JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts