Coming Soon to Your Smart Phone: Selfies You Can Sniff!
Recipe of the day
- Former Cook Will Serve 4 Years in Jail for Spitting in Customer’s Food and Eluding Police
- Walmart Updates Animal Welfare Standards After Pork Distributor Accused of Animal Abuse
- What 'All-Natural' and 9 Other Food Labels Actually Mean
- Egg Shortage Looms Ahead As a Result of Devastating Bird Flu
- Petition Calls World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards Sexist, Self-Pleasing, and Lacking Sanitary Criteria
Have you ever seen someone’s Instagram photo of a freshly-baked cake and thought,“ I wish I could smell that right now”? It’s not the Jetsons, it’s the near future. Presenting the oPhone Duo: a device that brings you the scratch n’ sniff selfie. The oPhone is a gadget that will allow users to send scents directly to someone else’s smart phone. You can choose from over 300,000 scent combinations in the oPhone’s “aromatic vocabulary.” The product is still in development, but it has quite a lot of supporters on the crowd funding website IndieGoGo.
So, how does it work? The device contains a “virtual world of aromas” like orange, espresso, chocolate, and thousands more. The app is connected to oSnap, the app that is available for download now and allows users to send scents. The aromas last for hundreds of uses until they run out (kind of like an ink cartridge).
If all goes well, the product will be set to launch in April 2015. Until then, the oNote team (creators of the oPhone and oSnap), have set up “scent hotspots” around the country where you can try out the scents yourself.
For the latest happenings in the food and drink world, visit our Food News page.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The Daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter@JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts