Chipotle is Now Virtually GMO-Free
Recipe of the day
- Bill Boggs Corner Table: A Burger with a View at the Ritz-Carlton in Rancho Mirage, California
- The Poutine Tornado and 5 More Insane Epic Meal Time Creations
- The 5 Most Insanely Unhealthy Frozen Appetizers
- These Early Logos of 5 Popular Fast Food Chains Are Hilariously Awful
- 5 Crazy Things Restaurants Have Done with Chicken Wings
Chipotle has announced that amid their unwelcome price-hike, the company will now only use GMO-free ingredients. They would be the first fast food or fast causal restaurant to do so, according to Food Business News.
“To date we have eliminated virtually all of the GMO ingredients in our food,” Steve Ells, chairman and co-chief executive officer told Food Business News. “Our corn and flour tortillas are the only foods we currently serve that are made using ingredients that contain or could contain trace amounts of GMOs, and now we are testing new non-GMO recipes for these tortillas and we hope to be able to roll them out by the end of the year.”
Since the company has started replacing ingredients like soy oil with non-bioengineered sunflower and rice bran oils last year (along with the rising prices of avocado), prices have slightly increased by five percent. Chipotle did not respond to our requests for comment.
Joanna Fantozzi is an Associate Editor with The daily Meal. Follow her on Twitter @JoannaFantozzi
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts