Cheese-Filled Chocolate: Next Chocolate Trend?
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
Cheese-filled chocolate isn't exactly a new concept, but Spanish company Natra is hoping that new savory-sweet chocolates will mark Spain as a premier chocolate country.
Industry magazine Food Navigator reports that Natra has developed wine-, cheese-, and olive oil-filled chocolates, hoping that utilizing Mediterranean flavors would increase the chocolate's appeal.
Currently, the company is testing a a creamy sheep's cheese typical to the Basque region. "It's not just a creamy cheese but something which really tastes of cheese," Eli Lopez de Bergara, marketing and innovation manager at Natra, told Food Navigator.
Of course, this isn't the first cheese-filled chocolate out there. French chocolatier Jean Paul-Hévin has a cheese-chocolate appetizer box, where creamy cheeses like goat cheese are wrapped in dark chocolate. Meanwhile, Japanese confectioner Meiji has developed a cheese and chocolate bar, with white chocolate. And in Hungary, Túró Rudi chocolate bars cover sweet cheese curds with crunchy chocolate.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts