- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
'Mustard Gang' Robbers Arrested in Italy
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Starbucks and Evolution Fresh Now Make Individual Fruit-on-the-Bottom Greek Yogurts
- Kraft Recalls American and White American Singles, Says Plastic Wrapper Is a Choking Hazard
- Maui, Hawaii's Grand Wailea Spa Incorporates Local Products into Relaxing Treatments
- Bananas Get Quick-Thinking Swede Out of Speeding Ticket
- The Best and Worst Products at Trader Joe’s Roundup: Part Two
Police in Rome have finally put a stop to a gang of condiment-wielding robbers who had successfully used mustard to steal tens of thousands of dollars from Russian and U.S. tourists.
According to The Local, the three-man gang targeted tourists at Rome's Fiumicino Airport and at hotel receptions throughout the city. One would throw a jar of mustard at the group's intended victim, and while the victim and any passersby were distracted by the mustard-throwing, the other two would make off with the victim's bags and other valuables. Getting mustard on one's clothes is distressing, but losing all one's luggage and valuables is a much bigger problem. The thieves were likely targeting affluent-looking victims, as did a previous group of airport robbers who specifically went after people with designer suitcases.
Italian police had been investigating the "mustard gang" for several weeks before they finally caught the trio with the help of security camera footage. While they were in operation, the mustard-throwing robbers are estimated to have taken more than €70,000, or over $95,000, in various currencies.
In addition to being wanted in Italy for their mustard-related crimes, the mustard gang was wanted internationally for other crimes, The Local reports.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts