Most Expensive Bluefin Tuna Goes for $736,000
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Culinary and Golf Extravaganza Coming to Prestigious Riviera Nayarit
- World’s 30 Best Ice Cream Parlors
- 10 International Restaurants with Amazing Architecture
- The World's Toughest Tables: 9 Restaurants That Are Almost Impossible to Get Into
- 6 Outrageous Hot Dogs That Are Totally Normal Somewhere Else
Tokyo's famous Tsukiji fish market held its first auction of the year Thursday, and a nearly 600-pound bluefin tuna was auctioned off for about $736,000.
This beat last year's record of a $416,000 bluefin tuna.
Kiyoshi Kimura, the winning bidder, operates the Sushi-Zanmai restaurant chain; he told reporters he wanted to give the economy a boost after last year's tsunami. "Japan needs to hang in there. So I tried hard myself and ended up buying the most expensive one," he told the AP.
A Sushi-Zanmai shop was selling pieces of fatty tuna from the fish at $5.45 apiece, normal prices for a fish that could have been sold at $96 apiece. Watch the video below.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts