- Albert Roux born
- Piereogi Day
Most Expensive Bluefin Tuna Goes for $736,000
Recipe of the day
- Four Foodie Stops in Emilia-Romagna That Can’t Be Missed
- A Regional Italian Food Journey to Expo Milano 2015
- Courtyard Restaurant in Botswana is a Unique Experience in Cuisine and Culture
- Italy Throws a Great Party But Still Hasn’t Found the Solution to World Hunger
- The Waffle House Museum Will Make You Book a Flight to Georgia Immediately
Tokyo's famous Tsukiji fish market held its first auction of the year Thursday, and a nearly 600-pound bluefin tuna was auctioned off for about $736,000.
This beat last year's record of a $416,000 bluefin tuna.
Kiyoshi Kimura, the winning bidder, operates the Sushi-Zanmai restaurant chain; he told reporters he wanted to give the economy a boost after last year's tsunami. "Japan needs to hang in there. So I tried hard myself and ended up buying the most expensive one," he told the AP.
A Sushi-Zanmai shop was selling pieces of fatty tuna from the fish at $5.45 apiece, normal prices for a fish that could have been sold at $96 apiece. Watch the video below.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts