- Earl S. (Tupperware) Tupper born (1907)
Microsoft Teams up with Yelp for Local Restaurant Listings
Recipe of the day
- Vikings Tackle Matt Kalil Lets Teammates Eat Free at His Pizzeria During Training Camp
- Gallons of Maple Syrup Spill Onto New Hampshire Roads
- Police Warn of Growing Practice of Disguising Illicit Drugs as Brightly Colored Candy
- Why Do Some Utah Residents Look Forward to Pie and Beer Day?
- Kroger Recalls 4 Spices Over Possible Salmonella Contamination
Microsoft has announced a partnership with Yelp, one of the leading user review and local search websites, so that Yelp business reviews will now appear in local searches on Microsoft’s own search engine, Bing. Apple has also integrated Yelp into a new iteration of Siri and has announced it will use Yelp reviews in its new mapping service.
Both of these moves can be seen as a response to Google picking up Zagat last year for 151 million in order to integrate the user-generated restaurant guide into search results on its new interface Google+ Local, an overhaul of the company’s marginally successful Google Places business pages.
"Yelp has become the leading destination for local information and we're thrilled that established brands like Bing recognize the value that Yelp communities bring to the local search experience," said Jeremy Stoppelman, CEO and co-founder, Yelp. "We are excited to see how Bing fans respond to this new local search experience powered by Yelp."
Maybe the partnership with Yelp is the break Bing finally needs to run with the big dogs, namely Google, in the battle over online and mobile restaurant listings.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts