- Simone "Simca" Beck born (1904)
Man Leaves $1,000 Tip for Server's Trip to Italy
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Australian Restaurant Catches Heat After Banning Children Under 7
- The 9 Most Memorable Crimes That Happened at Fast Food Restaurants
- Per Se Owes Workers $500,000 in Unpaid Service Charges, Says New York Attorney General
- Chuck E. Cheese’s, ‘Where a Kid Can Be a Kid,’ Hires Creative Agency to Help Attract More Adults
- Bakery That Refused Cake for Same-Sex Wedding Ordered to Pay Damages
Sure, every now and again we'll find ourselves dealing with a terrible tipper, or perhaps a rude customer, but every so often we find stories of someone leaving a $5,000 tip for a waiter to buy a car, and we think maybe people aren't so terrible after all.
Along a similar vein, a receipt posted by Tumblr Casual Cynic makes us, well, not so cynical. Apparently, the waitress (the author's mother) had been working the same job for five to six years, after eight years of art education and a divorce, Jezebel reports.
"Fifteen minutes ago this guy she waited on left and told her to take care. Just that," Casual Cynic wrote. "Prior to this she had talked to him about Italy. Her people are from Florence, this and that, and she said she's never been."
While not quite a sob story, it is rather heartbreaking to hear that this woman has been stuck in a small town, having never seen her family's hometown. So what does the mysterious diner do? "This man who we have never seen before tipped her 1,000 dollars for a trip to Italy. Walked out, not another word," Casual Cynic wrote.
Granted, the receipt does show a miscalculation, but on a $60 bill, more than $12 is generous, not to mention just under $1,000. We're off to go give random hugs on the street, now.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts