Magnolia Bakery Closed Over Mouse Infestation
Recipe of the day
- The Best Food Safety Tips for Blizzards
- Gordon Ramsay and 9 Other Chefs Who Cheated Death
- Michael Moore, Seth Rogen Banned from Michigan Restaurant over ‘American Sniper’ Comments
- Healthy and Fast: Wholesome Meals You Can Make in 30 Minutes or Less
- What is the Most Nutritious Vegetable You Could Have?
- Christina Tosi is Opening a Milk Bar Pop-Up in Madison Square Park
- Ruby Tuesday Sued for Gender Discrimination Against Men
- KFC Has Really Outdone Itself with the DoubleDown Dog
- Woman Gets Bag of Cash from Burger King Drive-Thru
- Reports About New Restaurant By 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' Chef and Restaurateur Alessandro Borgognone May Be Inaccurate
New York's tourists and Sex and the City fans were disappointed this week when a mouse infestation caused the Department of Health to shut down the original Magnolia Bakery on Valentine's Day.
The mice may have had poor timing, but the DOH said it found five "critical violations" at the Bleeker Street outpost of Magnolia Bakery, including mouse holes and droppings, which raised some unappetizing visuals.
"I used to love their vanilla cupcakes with the chocolate sprinkles," customer Leslie Hamilton said to the New York Post. "But I don't know. Ugh, mouse droppings? There are a lot of sprinkles on those cupcakes."
Magnolia spokesperson Sara Gramling blames Hurricane Sandy for the bakery's new inhabitants.
"Because of the flooding, a lot of mice have moved inward, and that was the issue that was found in the basement," she said.
Magnolia hoped to be open for business by Saturday, but according to CBS the bakery is still closed while employees attempt to rectify the situation.
"We’re doing everything we can in our power to get this store reopened, and hope to get an inspection today, and we’ll be baking fresh," said manager Bobby Lloyd.
Lloyd says the clean-up is taking a lot of elbow grease, but they hope to be open again shortly. In the meantime, recreate their cupcakes at home with Magnolia Bakery's vanilla cupcake recipe.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts