Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail Sends Woman to Hospital

The Halloween-inspired drink is now under investigation for safety hazards
Staff Writer

Photo Sasabune Omakase Modified: Flickr/erin/CC 4.0

A Halloween cocktail using liquid nitrogen sent one customer to the hospital to have her stomach removed.

We never thought we’d be saying this, but please leave the liquid nitrogen out of your Halloween cocktails this year.

One Lancaster, England wine bar is under fire after their liquid nitrogen cocktails forced one customer into the hospital to have her stomach removed. The 18-year old reportedly was drinking and dining in Oscar’s Wine Bar & Bistro where she consumed two Nitro Jägermeister drinks, a cocktail that uses liquid nitrogen to achieve a smoky, dry-ice effect. She then complained of breathlessness and severe stomach pains and was taken to the hospital, where she is now in stable condition. The other guests with her did not experience any side-effects from the drink.

The chemical liquid nitrogen is a popular ingredient for the cauldron-like smoke it produces in drinks. Use of liquid nitrogen in mixology was made popular by English television chef Heston Blumenthal, who argues for multi-sensory experiences in cooking. Despite its aesthetic value, however, consumption of liquid nitrogen is considered by many to be incredibly risky and inadvisable.

Police are currently investigating the bar offering the liquid nitrogen cocktails. According to a police spokesperson, the bar has since suspended the selling of all drinks using liquid nitrogen.  

Rate this Story