- Simone "Simca" Beck born (1904)
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Australian Restaurant Catches Heat After Banning Children Under 7
- The 9 Most Memorable Crimes That Happened at Fast Food Restaurants
- Per Se Owes Workers $500,000 in Unpaid Service Charges, Says New York Attorney General
- Chuck E. Cheese’s, ‘Where a Kid Can Be a Kid,’ Hires Creative Agency to Help Attract More Adults
- Bakery That Refused Cake for Same-Sex Wedding Ordered to Pay Damages
Cutting-edge technological advances help most industries grow and develop, whether by improving how car manufacturers design their engines or by creating new bank services to make account management easier for customers. So it’s no surprise that some restaurants are employing innovative technology to enhance the dining experience.
In Jinan, China, and Bangkok, Thailand, two restaurants are using robots to wait on tables and greet diners. In New York City customers can dine on locally sourced fruits and vegetables grown and harvested in the rooftop garden above the restaurant, and then transported down the building's stories using a vertical planting system and a pulley. And in San Francisco, diners can order their grilled cheese sandwiches on their phone and swipe their order in when they pick up their meal thanks to a customized QR code.
Many restaurants these days are using tablets to streamline the ordering process — either by having their waitstaff send orders directly to the kitchen or by having diners order for themselves, but the restaurants on this list are taking things a few steps further. At Inamo restaurant in London, customers are in control of their entire dining experience — an interactive touch-screen table allows them to do everything from choosing their meals to ordering a cab to drive them home afterward.
Do you know of a restaurant making use of technology in a uniquely innovative way that didn’t make this list? Leave a comment below.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts