Herb-Marinated Mozzarella and Tomato Salad Recipe
Daily Value: 12%
|Folic Acid (B9)||72µg||18%|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||5g||0%|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||1g||0%|
Pairs Well With
Exclusive from The Daily Meal
Here’s a delicious starter that’s a twist on the traditional Italian Caprese salad. Like an Italian with an exotic accent. People can get rather anxious about meddling with the purity of real, fresh buffalo mozzarella (not least because it can be a bit pricey) but we assure you that you won’t regret this meddle.
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 15 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 15 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons basil-infused olive oil, such as Nudo Italian Kitchen
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces mozzarella di bufala
- 2 vine-ripened or heirloom tomatoes, chopped into rough wedges
- Ciabatta bread, for garnish
In a small sauté pan, dry fry the fennel seeds until they start to pop. Remove them from the pan and crush on a flat surface or using a mortar and pestle, then place in a bowl. Add the basil, mint, garlic, basil olive oil, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to taste to the bowl with the crushed fennel. Pull apart the mozzarella with your hands and add to the bowl of marinade. Leave for half an hour and then serve with the chopped tomatoes and a few chunks of lightly toasted ciabatta.
Recipe DetailsServings: 4
Notes and Substitutions:
To read more recipes from Nudo and to purchase their basil-infused olive oil, visit their website.