French Toast with Pineapple Marmalade and Viande des Grisons
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 Victoria pineapple or small, ripe pineapple, diced
- 4 slices viande des Grisons or bresaola, cut into small pieces
- 6 pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1 egg
- Scant 1/2 cup light cream (20 percent fat) or half-and-half
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 4 slices brioche
- 4 Tablespoons sunflower oil
Viande des Grisons is air-dried beef or "beef prosciutto" hailing from the Alps, and, sliced thinly and cut into small pieces, it's a delicious topping with brioche French toast and pineapple. If you can't find viande des Grisons, bresaola, an Italian air-dried beef, is a good substitute.
See all French toast recipes.
In a nonstick skillet, heat half of the butter over high heat and cook the pineapple until golden, for 5 minutes. Combine the pineapple, viande des Grisons, and pink peppercorns in a bowl and set aside. In a bowl, whisk the egg and cream together using a fork. Add a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper. Dip the slices of brioche in this cream.
In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil and the remaining butter over medium heat and fry the soaked slices of brioche on both sides until golden. Transfer to warmed plates and top with the pineapple marmalade.
Calories per serving:623 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free