- Fried Chicken Day
Fall Farmers’ Market Guide
Thinkstock/iStockphotoEmbrace fall and all of its bounty with shopping tips for 10 of our favorite fall produce staples.
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
Summer’s end does not have to mean the end of visits to your local farmers’ markets. While the asparagus, blueberries, and peaches may be long gone, there’s a bounty of fresh produce readily available as cooler climates take over. Fall markets are the perfect place to revel in the beauty of freshly harvested apples, leafy greens, carrots, and pears — the hallmarks of fall's comfort foods, essentially.
With one of the year’s best produce seasons upon us, it’s important to have your farmers’ market game perfected and to know what you’re looking for. Don’t let the fruits of the season pass you by and be sure to follow these tips for how to shop and what to look for.
5 Tips for Shopping at Fall Farmers' Markets
- Color is key when choosing fresh produce. While the fall brings on a lot of different colors, you are still looking for the same vibrant ones at the farmers’ stand.
- Fall markets tend to be smaller and have fewer vendors, so plan on arriving early in order to get the best of their offerings before the supplies run out.
- Upsize your shopping bags for fall. Leafy greens like collards and kale can take up a lot of space, so you’ll want to be prepared.
- Just as it is with the summer, fall market produce is still fresh from the earth, so remember to give anything you purchase a good rinse before using.
- Fall farmers' markets are a veritable treasure chest of delicious and healthy fresh fruits and vegetables to fill your autumn table. We've picked 10 favorites to help you make the most of fall's delicious bounty.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts