- Craig Claiborne born (1920)
Lindsay S. Nixon
- 12 Ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 1/4 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1/2 Teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon black salt
- 2 Tablespoons fat-free vegan mayo
- Black pepper, to taste
My long search for the perfect vegan "egg" salad is over! This tofu eggless salad tastes just like the original, only it's fat-free and a whole lot healthier. Black salt is the secret ingredient here. This has quickly became a favorite in our household.
See all sandwich recipes.
If using firm tofu, press for at least 20 minutes. Give extra-firm tofu a good squeeze before starting. Crumble the tofu into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Let set for a few minutes (this allows the flavor to merge but also enhances the yellow coloring). Stir again. Season with additional spices, to taste.