Cheese Pancakes: The Original Latkes Recipe
- 16 ounces farmer cheese, pot cheese, or drained ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- About ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- About ½ teaspoon table salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil or butter, for frying
- Sour cream, yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon-sugar, or fresh fruit, for serving
Latkes originally derived from Italian ricotta pancakes and became part of the Hanukkah culinary tradition because they combined the two popular food symbols of the holiday: fried food and dairy.
In a large bowl, beat together the cheese, eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
In a large skillet or griddle, heat a thin layer of oil or butter over medium heat. In batches, drop the batter 1 heaping tablespoon at a time and fry until the top is set and the bottom is browned slightly, about 3 minutes. Turn and fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon-sugar, or fresh fruit.
Calories per serving:303 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb Sugar Conscious, Low Potassium, Kidney Friendly, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free