Broiled Salmon with Lemon, Thyme, and Garlic Recipe
- Two 4-6 ounce salmon fillets
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated with a microplane or other fine-holed grater
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed, plus more whole sprigs, for garnish
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- Cucumber Yogurt with Dill
- Grilled Beef Tenderloin Tips
- Baked Asparagus with Fried Egg and Dill
- Canned Tuna Open-Faced Sandwich
- Kale, Mango, and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry and Ricotta Appetizer
- Raw Artichoke, Lemon, and Parmesan Salad
- Strawberry, Cheddar, and Chive Spring Salad
- Halibut Cheeks with Meyer Lemon and Basil Vinaigrette
The thyme used in this quick, easy and healthy recipe was clipped from a small pot of thyme resting on the window ledge of The Daily Meal office. It adds a bright, almost lemony flavor to the fish that's enhanced by the lemon juice and zest in the recipe.
I used wild sockeye salmon which has a firm, deep-red flesh, but you can use any other variety as well (just try to avoid Atlantic Salmon because it is overfished). I purposely didn't use any oil in this recipe, since salmon is such a fatty fish and you don't really need an extra fat when cooking it. Enjoy!
Pre-heat the broiler on high, placing the top oven rack on the highest notch (about 4–5 inches from the top).
Wash the fillets and pat them dry. Season with the garlic, zest and lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper. Lay them, skin-side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet or pan. Cook for about 4–5 minutes, but watch the fillets closely because they cook quickly and cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the fillet. I like my salmon a little pink and tender in the center, but feel free to cook it all the way through.
Serve with wild rice, a simple green salad, or cooked vegetables on the side.
Calories per serving:313 calories
Dietary restrictions:Low Carb, Low Sodium Sugar Conscious, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added
Have a question about nutritional data? Let us know.