Best Eggnog to Buy (and the Worst)
Recipe of the day
- What Did The World's Most Notorious Criminals Request for Their Last Meals?
- ‘World’s Hottest Burger’ is Doused in Hot Sauce and Literally Set on Fire
- KFC is Launching Edible Coffee Cups Made of Cookies and Chocolate
- Fermented Shark and 10 More of the World’s Stinkiest Foods
- Foods That Make You Feel Fuller Longer
- 8 Drinks That Help Fight Diabetes
- New Product Offers ‘Wine Without the Hangover’… Because There’s No Alcohol in It
- Soda Company Celebrates ‘Deflategate’ with Flat Sodas
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group Teams Up with Keurig for Forthcoming At-Home Cold Beverage System
- Scientists Treat Alcoholics with a Fake Bar and Colored Water
As much as we applaud your good-intentioned enthusiasm in wanting to make everything yourself this holiday season, when it comes to items like eggnog, there's no shame in turning to the supermarket for help.
Although it's not difficult to make at home, eggnog is one of those products that is easy to check off your shopping list. The only hitch? Making sure you pick the right brand. Reach for the wrong carton in your dairy aisle and you might wind up with something that tastes more like thin, banana-bubblegum-flavored milk, rather than that creamy, lightly spiced drink you were anticipating.
Knowing that "added stress" wasn't on your Christmas wish list, eight Daily Meal editors tested 12 popular eggnog brands to see which are best (and which you might want to leave on the supermarket shelf). Our taste test criteria? We considered texture (does it have the desired creamy thickness?), flavor (is there a hint of holiday spices?), color (is it more yellow or white?), and level of sweetness (not too cloying, please). What's more, we conducted a second round of testing that mixed in a little dark spiced rum to help determine which tasted best with a spirited addition.
Check out the results below — the brands are listed best to worst (scores are based on a 100 point scale) — then check out the slideshow for full commentary.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts