- First electric stove patented (1896)
Proof That Pies Really Are the Next Big Thing
Recipe of the day
Most popular Stories
- The USDA Considers Implementing Healthy Meals for Children in Daycares to Fight Childhood Obesity
- Fatty and Sugary Foods Could Diminish Important Brain Functions
- Confessions of a Picky Eater: Punta Cana Pescado
- Pizza Guy Administers CPR to Customer: ‘I Left a Pizza Boy, and Came Back a Pizza Man’
- Wish-Bone Is Recalling Thousands of Ranch Salad Dressings
It looks like the cupcake's reign as dessert trend king is almost over (finally!).
We recently polled our readers to find out what their favorite dessert trend is, and 57 percent of voters chose pie. Cupcakes received less than half that amount (24 percent), doughnuts garnered 13 percent, and whoopie pies came in last with five percent.
Where did all this love come from? To start, cupcakes have been out of fashion for a while. Plenty of bloggers have been raging against the regime, calling the dessert out for being too dry and too done up with icing and cuteness.
Not only is pie more modest, but it's also the hearty all-American dessert that goes well with autumn. But will the trend be as annoying as cupcakes? Cookbook author Matt Lewis thinks not, saying to Eater, "Cupcakes can forever be the tabloid Lindsay/Britney/Paris and pies will be the classier Aretha/Stevie/Joanie."
He makes a good point, since pies don't have the same fluffy appeal as cupcakes. Then again, tartlets might take care of that.
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts