America’s Most Outrageous Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Recipe of the day
- Sandwich of the Week: Michael’s Deli’s The Juban
- Sandwich of the Week: Giordano Bros.’ Hot Capicola
- Kraft Singles Get Nutrition Seal From ‘Kids Eat Right’ Program, Though the Companies Don't Agree Whether It Means Endorsement
- Sandwich of the Week: Flour Bakery + Café’s Chicken and Avocado Sandwich
- 12 Life-Changing Sandwiches You've Never Heard Of
In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, we've highlighted the most over-the-top versions of this classic sandwich.
Traditionally, a grilled cheese consists of sliced bread, cheese, and butter, all toasted to gooey perfection in a pan or on a flattop. But these days, the sandwich has taken on more variations than ever imagined — from a grilled cheese stuffed with buttermilk fried chicken to sandwiches topped with mac and cheese, barbecued pork, and caramelized onions to a grilled cheese sandwiched between a glazed doughnut.
The widespread national food truck trend has had a notable impact on the grilled cheese world; there are a surprising number of mobile and brick-and-mortar operations dedicated solely to this cheesy creation. In fact, half of the sandwiches on this list come from stores and trucks serving only grilled cheeses.
Think we missed your favorite extreme grilled cheese sandwich? Leave a comment below with your picks of the craziest combinations in the country.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts