- Nathan Myhrvold born (1959)
Exploding Artichoke Surprises Italy
Today on The Daily Meal
Recipe of the day
- Starbucks and Evolution Fresh Now Make Individual Fruit-on-the-Bottom Greek Yogurts
- Kraft Recalls American and White American Singles, Says Plastic Wrapper Is a Choking Hazard
- Maui, Hawaii's Grand Wailea Spa Incorporates Local Products into Relaxing Treatments
- Bananas Get Quick-Thinking Swede Out of Speeding Ticket
- The Best and Worst Products at Trader Joe’s Roundup: Part Two
A woman in northern Italy was shocked this week by a seemingly innocent artichoke that exploded in her hand like a spikey green grenade.
According to The Local, the woman had just purchased the artichokes at a local market and was slicing into one when it suddenly exploded. She was not injured, but the artichoke leaves were damaged and burned.
After the incident was reported to the police and the supermarket that had supplied the exploding artichoke, the supermarket pulled all the vegetables from sale just to be safe. Police are investigating the explosion, and at the moment one theory is that the explosion could have been caused by a reaction with a chemical fertilizer used on the artichoke.
As shocking as an exploding artichoke is, this is actually not the first instance to strike Italy. Exploding artichokes were reported in 2003 and 2008. When it happened in 2003, a woman told police that she was peeling her artichoke when it suddenly gave off sparks before catching fire and then exploding. No explosives were found in or around the artichoke, leading police to believe it might have been a weird but natural occurrence.
Be a Part of the Conversation
Join the Daily Meal's Community and Share your Thoughts